Thursday, December 18, 2008

Broken

About 15 months ago something horrible happened to me... I broke my leg.

First let me tell the story (even though I'm sure most people know it) and then I'll explain why I'm telling a story from 15 months ago...

On a lovely evening on September 20, 2007 Chad wanted to go outside and play catch. I suggested that we should go roller blading since I always want to go but never actually do. He thought this was a good idea and we both laced up. Almost immediately I didn't feel comfortable on the skates, but pushed on b/c I've skated hundreds of times. We decided to skate up the slight hill in our neighborhood. We got nearly to the top and then turned back for the house. Chad was in front of me and he lost control and fell... I went to avoid falling on top of him and aimmed a crash landing in the grass... I mean falling in the grass is much better than concrete right? So I fell into the grass but my left leg got stuck... and I twisted my body with my leg stuck... I head an undeinable pop and was in pain... I screamed, but it felt like I couldn't make any sound...

Chad rushed over to me and I was afraid to turn over... I was so worried I would look at my leg and the bone would be sticking out of the skin... and if that were the case I did not want to see it... but I had to... so Chad helped me turn over... thankfully no bone visual... but the next difficult task of taking the skate off... I'm not sure how I was able to do that... but we managed to get the skate off. I was hoping I had just sprained my ankle although I knew deep down it wasn't my ankle. Chad went down the street and grabbed my car to pick me up...

Side Note: I happened to land in the crazy man's yard... every neighborhood has one... the guy that clips his yard with pruning shears... either way he came out of his house and said if you two don't move you're going to get wet (he was watering his lawn) I told him that I hurt my leg and Chad was going to get the car and pick me up since I couldn't walk. He's like how far is that? (this is the guy who walks around the neighborhood and knows where everyone lives...) I'm like we are at the end of the street... then he was at least nicer to me... but continued to talk... about how he's had both his hips replaced and walks 5 miles a way and was in the army... and then he talked about how Chad was in the military (news to me) but I was in too much pain to want to correct him... or even really have a conversation...

Chad brought the car up and I limpingly got in the backseat. I knew we had to go to the ER... it's just one of those things you know... so we ran back to the house so Chad could grab a few things and we headed to the ER. Of course we went to St. Anthony's when we should have going to ANY OTHER HOSPITAL, but whatever I was in pain and not thinking...

We got to the ER and they let me lay down... I tried to fall asleep or anything to get my mind off of the constant pain in my leg and thumb (I must have bent back the nail when I feel b/c it hurt pretty bad too) They finally took me into an exam room where the gave me a pain killer than did not help and ordered me to get X-rays. While I was waiting the nurse told me not to drink much or eat anything "just in case"... I was like just in case of what?!? And she's like in case you need surgery... I told her I could wiggle my toes I did not need surgery... When those finally came back it was confirmed... I had broken my tibia (the shin bone) but not the smaller one... go figure... but not bad enough that I needed emergency surgery.... thank god!!

They put me in a temporary cast until I could see an orthopedic doctor... and they could decide my treatment plan. I had been laying with my leg turned out b/c that was the most comfortable... and in order for them to put me in the cast they had to straighen my leg... oh boy did that hurt... I nearly passed out from the pain... (side note: I was wearing jeans and didn't want them to cut up my jeans so they had to put me in paper scrub pants... it also meant I had to take off my jeans... great...) but when it was done... it did feel slightly better... they wheeled me out on a wheelchair. My mom took me home while Chad grabbed some food and my pain meds.

When we got back to my house I suddenly realized how NOT handicap accessable my house truley is... and I had to use crutches for the first time in my life. She I had played around on them before, but actually having to use them is another story... getting up the steps in my garage way tough... and I nearly passed out from the pain AGAIN!!

My mom was able to get me in the house and changed and settled... Chad soon came home with the pain meds... I ate a little something took a pill and went to bed...

In the morning my mom graciously agreed to come over and take care of me... We were able to get in and see a doctor... I would not have to get surgery... which was a relief... but he put me in this boot and was heavy... and by that time the pain meds were wearing off... I was once again in major pain... It was quite an ordeal getting me back in the house... b/c with the new boot I was not nearly as agile... but she managed... since she does that kind of thing all the time... one of her friends even brought me a walker which was much easier to use...

Over the next few weeks I slowly got better... but it was tough... I mean I couldn't stand up to shower... going to the bathroom was a pain... for about a week it was tough to lift my leg up and down off the couch... I slept on the couch... I had to learn how to sleep on my back...

And evenually I got all better... and now I hardly think about it...

Now why did I write about this?

Well last night I was laying on the couch and my leg all of a sudden started to ache... it does this every once in awhile... but it was strange last night for some reason and reminded me of the whole experience... really makes you appreciate the little things... like walking or stand up showers.

No comments: