Sunday, November 3, 2013

Baking: Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

**Ok I failed at the blogging every day thing already... haha... but I'm post dating this entry, so at least you'll get 30 entries during the month of November.

This past weekend Dan requested some baking from me... and I've really been enjoying baking so I happily obliged.  The last peanut butter cookies I made were a bit crunchy and he requested some chewy ones.

So I googled Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies and made the first recipe that popped up.  Seemed easy enough and I had all the ingredients except more peanut butter.

Now, I apologize, but I didn't get a picture of the final product, these cookies were more chewy and Dan even called them a bit underdone... (figures last ones over and these under...)  Really though, I was going for a bit under-done since that's what tends to make the cookies chewy... otherwise I think the recipes were very similar.

One of these days I'll find the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe... I actually have an idea I'd like to try out soon!

Recipe for Easy Access (from http://www.unegaminedanslacuisine.com)

Old Fashioned Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
makes about 25-30 cookies


ingredients
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon espresso powder (optional) - did not use
1/2 cup (that's 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cup tightly packed, light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cream or milk (I used 2%)
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large, room temperature, egg

method
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder (if using). Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, cream, and vanilla. Beat on med-high speed for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg and beat for about 30 seconds - until just incorporated. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. {Note: I let mine chill for 6 hours.}

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.

Using a small cookie scoop, form the dough into balls and place them onto the prepared sheets, allowing about 2-inches of space between each cookie. {Note: Each of my cookies weighed approximately .23 grams.} Slightly flatten each ball of dough with the tines of a lightly-floured fork, creating a crisscross pattern.

Bake for 7-8 minutes - do not exceed 9 minutes. The tops should look underdone - they will firm up as the cookies cool. {My cookies were Perfect after only 7 minutes.} Remove the baking sheets from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for about 10 minutes before removing transferring to a cooling rack.

No comments: