Monday, November 4, 2013

Baking: Jalapeno Cheese Bread

Dan requested some jalapeno cheese bread.  I did find out afterward that he was craving some cornbread like we had at Mardi Gras... but he didn't tell me that before, so I'm going to try to make cornbread next time...

I looked a lot for this recipe... I read over a bunch and settled on this one because it seemed the easiest...

There is the recipe from allrecipes.com
(mine is altered to show what to use to make one loaf)

Ingredients
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I shredded my own, honestly I'm not sure it made a difference)
1/4 cup minced jalapenos (I may have used more, I'm not sure I chopped up 2.5 jalapenos)
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of white sugar (that's a hard one to divide by 3 haha)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup hot water
1 package of active dry yeast
1 1/3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. In a very large bowl, combine 2 1/3 cups of flour, cheese, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon sugar and the salt; mix well.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the water, yeast and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Let sit about 10 minutes; stir until all yeast is dissolved.
  3. Add the oil to the liquid mixture, stirring . Add half of the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with hands to moisten flour as much as possible. Add remaining liquid mixture to dough and mix until flour is thoroughly incorporated. (I ended up having to take the dough out of the bowl and start to knead it before I was able to get all the flour/cheese/jalapenos to incorporate)
  4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic to the touch, about 15 minutes, gradually adding only enough additional flour to keep dough from sticking.
  5. Place in a large greased bowl and invert dough so top is greased; cover with a dry towel and let stand in a warm place (90 - 100F) until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down dough.
  6. To Make Bread: Form each into a ball, then stretch out dough with both hands and tuck edges under to form a smooth surface. Pop any large air bubbles by pinching them. Form into loaves. (Note: I like to use a rolling pin and roll out dough, which pops all bubbles easily and quickly.) Place in 3 greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover with towel again and allow to rise until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  7. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) until dark brown and done, about 1 hour, rotating the pans after 25 minutes for more even browning. Remove from pan as soon as bread will easily lift out, after about 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool about 1 hour before slicing.
NOTE: During the rising process I set the dough on the top of my oven while the oven is on the warm setting.  This seems to work great for me.

NOTE:  I'm not sure how long this should be cooked for.  I was looking at my bread and thought it seemed done around 30 minutes or so, but since the recipe called for an hour I left my bread in there WAY too long and the outside was very well done... as in not edible.  I realized last night while I was falling asleep that the longer bake time might be because you were suppose to cook 3 loaves... so...

So, reading my note, I totally overcooked the bread... although the inside was good and we ate  that part.  It had good heat to it, but I wouldn't call it spicy.  I didn't take a picture, and I'm going to have to try this again to get it right.  I also want to try jalapeno cornbread (as I stated above)

No comments: