Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I was thinking

As I mentioned this past weekend my Grandma passed away.  She was 93 years old and I know she lived a good, happy life.  Her wake and funeral service was beautiful.  It was nice sharing memories of Grandma and we even got to look at some old pictures I've never seen before.  Including young pictures of my dad (who looks exactly like my brother) and even my grandparents on their wedding day.  Now that was a cool picture to see, how young and good looking they were.  I hope to get a copy of that picture... it's a classic old time photo!

So while funerals can be really sad... they can be a good time for family to get together and share memories.  My cousin (who is like my parents age... I have a strange family when it comes to that) gave a speech at the service and it was very good.  I'm glad someone in the family had the courage to get up and say something... I would have cried... plus I'm not a good public speaker.

Another thing I was thinknig about is my grandparents were married for 60 years this past April.  60 years... can you believe that?  I've been bummed recently that my marriage is ending... and that the hope/dream is over for a long long marriage.  But what I realized is my grandma was 33 when she married my grandpa.  That's a bit older (especially when you consider that generation) and they had 3 kids.  I really worry that some of the things I want in my life won't happen (kids, happy marriage, etc) but looking at that... my grandma had a wonderful, life full of both of those things... and I'm not 33 yet.  I could still get married and be together for 60 years... I can still have 3 children... it's still possible.  Those are the things that's hard for me to really believe... but the proof is right there in my grandparents.

I don't want to turn this into a woe-is-me post or anything... but what life tells you (and recently showed me) is everyone's life journey is different.  Those that seem happy now could have hardship tomorrow... you're life can be "planned" out and disaster strikes.  Life can be looking super crappy and then you meet a wonderful person... I don't know what my life will bring me, just as much as you don't know what your life will bring you.  Enjoy it... live it... do it. 

Who knows what I'll be telling my kids or grandkids 50 years from now (or if I'll be alive 50 years from now or have those grandchildren) but I know my life will be interesting and quite a story.  I will be at peace and happy about what I've done and what I've expereienced.  This is just a minor bump in the road that is life.  I do need to keep remembering that.  It's hard when you want know things will be ok, or you'll get the things you want.  I need to trust everything will end up a-ok.

How about all that profound speaking??

No comments: