Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cardinals Nation!

The Cardinals have won the World Series.  The Cardinals this year have been truly amazing and it's great as a fan to watch them battle back and ultimately win the World Series.  As most of you know at the end of August the Cards were still 10.5 games out of the wildcard.  I think I heard they had like .5% chance of making it to the playoffs.  But they kept winning when they needed to and with a little bit of luck (ok, probably a LOT of bit of luck) we ended up in the playoffs.

Each series was incredibly exciting and while we were the underdog the entire time we still manage to win games when we needed them.  The best example of this would be in Game 6 of the WS... that game will probably go down as one of the most exciting and stressful games I've ever watched.  And all those sports experts are calling it one of the greatest games in the WS - EVER.  The Rangers were one strike away from winning the World Series... TWICE and the Cardinals were able to tie it back up.  It was looking grim, but somehow we ended up winning that game six with a walkoff homerun by the home-town boy... I mean, seriously, you can't make this stuff up!

After we won Game 6 we forced a Game 7.  My dad reserved a table at Pujols' restaurant... how he managed that was beyond me... but my dad, me, Rachel, Janet, Keith and his girlfriend Sarah all joined together to root the Cardinals on in Game 7.  The Cardinals haven't lost when we've all been together watching the game.  We had beers and apps and it was a lot of fun.  We ordered shots to have them as soon as the Cardinals won (we waited until it was looking very probable the Cards would win, didn't want to jinx anything!)

And when that last out was caught we celebrated... jumped around and high-fived, hugged... it was exciting to be out and about during that exciting time.  Spending it with family is just want I needed.  The last time they won the World Series - I was with him - but now I have this happier memory of the Cardinals winning... like they started winning just for me.  I also watched Game 6 with my dad, and I'm so happy I did... I don't think I've ever seen my dad that excited in my life.  I'm so happy I got to witness this crazy Cardinal post-season with my family... I mean, I watched games with family, my sister took me to a game.  This has been perfect for the last two months. 

After they won at Pujols they passed around free champagne... of course it wasn't very much - but it was fun... here's a couple of pictures from that night.  The WS has made St. Louis collectively happier... and bonded us as Cardinal Nation yet again.  I'm looking forward to next season!!

(ignore the crappy quality of the iphone photos and the fact I have crazy eyes in that bottom one...)\

No comments: