Thursday, November 17, 2011

Honor Flight

Before I leave the topic of my grandparents I wanted to share something I also shared on Facebook.  Shortly before my grandma's death my grandpa participated in the Honor Flight program.  If you've never heard of it, here's a video that my mom actually sent me quite awhile ago - I guess they are making a documentary about the program


My grandpa is a World War II veteran.  And he finally took his honor flight trip at the beginning of the month.  He went with the Central Missouri Honor Flight program.  His nephew went along with him as a guardian.  From what I heard about the organization this trip was very well run.  They thought through lots of potential circumstances and bring along nurses, doctors and a 'guardian' for every two veterans.  They walk them through what to expect including airport security which can be an issue.  I can't remember all the places they visit while in DC, but includes WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery.  They are only in DC for a night and is a pretty quick trip.  They really want all WWII (and Korean) veterans to take the trip. 

I saw my grandpa before the trip and could tell he was excited.  I haven't gotten to talk to him much after about his trip - just b/c of the circumstances with my grandma, but from what I've heard he had a wonderful time!!  What's even more amazing is the Columbia Missourian wrote an article about the program and my grandpa, Virgil Watson, is quoted throughout it.  You really should take a look at it here.

It's a great not-for-profit.  I am so happy Grandpa got to take this trip and enjoy it.  One of the best parts (that they kept a surprise from the Veterans) was they did a mail call on the flight.  Friends and family were asked to write letters that were given to each of the Veterans on the flight.  How sweet is that??

Anyway... take some time and view their site, the article or at least the video.  They all make me tear up a bit.

No comments: