Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Island

Okay... I promise this is probably my last post of the day... But I wanted to give my thoughts on MTV's The Island. I don't watch a lot of the shows on MTV, I feel like they are aimed at an audience about half my age, but I do watch a couple of shows... True Life entertains me as does and Real World/Road Rules Challenge. So I have been following the most recent series The Island.

Last night was the season finale... and I'm left feeling thoroughly disappointed. I seriously thought last night they would start the final challenge and leave us hanging for next week's episode... turns out that wasn't the case.

Let me start by explaining why I like the challenge shows... I like watching the challenges and I enjoy the fact that since the challenge takes a good portion of the time of the show that leaves a smaller amount of drama-time on the show. Well this season was completely different. They only had one challenge per hour episode... okay so more drama this season... wonderful.

Everyone got on my nerves at one point or another... maybe that's how they edit it? Anyway Ev was bitching and moaning the entire season about Johnny Bananas and what does she do to come true on all the things she's been saying at length all season? She chickens out and send Dunbar home so she has a place on the boat with all the strong men. Way to sell out there? And then Paula whining about how she should have been on that boat... wha wha... I mean those guys have been doing that crap all show long, why did you think you'd be different? In the end it was a blow out (aren't finales much better when it's close?)

Well... my beef with all of this is how un-exciting the final mission or whatever was... row over to that island and turn the keys? So exciting!! I thought there would be some type of puzzle or additional challenge or something... but not... an anticlimatic ending... way to go MTV.

Hopefully they bring back a different type of challenge next time b/c this one sucked... nice try to imitate Survivor and stick them on an island without food... problem is that would lack what every other MTV show has going for it... alcohol. So here these people were on this island with shelter already built (as MTV primiative as it was) little to no food but we'll give you an endless supply of alcohol... sounds safe doesn't it?

Alright... enough about that back to me wasting the next 10 minutes before I can leave this joint.

No comments: