Friday, August 30, 2013

Reflection: Two Years

At the end of August it will be two years since the separation with Chad.  (and two years on October 1st since I moved out and haven't seen him since except back in July)  I'm not exactly sure what I want to say... but mostly just wanted to mark the moment.

Mostly it feels like so much longer than two years.  I remember things about being together, but it seems like a much more distant memory than just two years ago.

It feels like I've lived a lifetime since then.  I've done so many things.  So many fun activities and trips and family time and friend time and just life in general.  There's so much I have done that I would never, could never do when I was married to Chad.

I feel like I've done a good job moving forward... and I'm very happy with where my life is headed.  I don't want to call the marriage a mistake, but I've learned a lot from it and hindsight is always 20/20 ya know?

I haven't really talked much about moving forward from this divorce since I moved onto my next relationship.  When I was first going through the divorce process I thought for sure I would have a party to celebrate being divorce... single again... but it never felt right.  It didn't feel right to post it on Facebook.  Mostly I've just gone with when it feels right is the right time to do stuff.  And that's worked very well.

Last year during the month of November when I wrote one thing I was thankful for a day I wrote an entry about how I was thankful for my divorce.  The short, simpleness of that post really is still true.

In the end I have lived so much more since the divorce... I appreciate things more and I just understand relationships and life more than I did.  It's like don't sweat the small stuff or something.

I know that I'm not making a whole lot of sense and this post is really rambly and all over the place... but I guess I just wanted to mark the occasion and really say that I'm proud of where I was and where I am now.  I never really want to read about how sad I was in those first days (you can go back and read, but honestly I don't want to look at those posts) but I've come a long way from being soooo sad to being very happy and in a really good spot.  It really just takes time to move forward.  Waiting sucks, but it's worth it in the end.

That would be my advice to people going through something like I did.  It gets better.  Just wait it out and know that life is much better on the other side.

3 comments:

dsdddwddgdd said...

i'm glad that you've found it gets better. my hope for you as you move forward is never to lose yourself because of a man. the best relationships let each person be who they are. i was always afraid of your joy being sucked out of you; i'm happy its back and i want it to always be a part of who you are, enjoying and experiencing life to the fullest. hug!

Amanda Reeves said...

Jen,
I just wanted to say I am so happy for you. And I have noticed how confident and independent you have become over the last 2 years. I am so proud of you for moving forward and not letting this bump in the road of life keep you down. I hope we can get together soon. : )

Amanda

Susan said...

I'm glad you are happy with where you are in life and are at peace with your past. That's great. I wish you much happiness and great things in the future.