Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Colorado - Part 2

On Friday we started out with the Breakfast of Champions at Denny's (it was right next to our hotel).  I couldn't tell you the last time I ate at a Denny's... but it was pretty good.

Next we decided to do a little hiking and see Maxwell Falls, which was recommended to us by Dan's friend.  I think we went on the three mile hike - and it was quite nice.  There were rocks to climb (reminded me of Elephant Rocks) and water, and trees, and nature.  It was a lot of fun.  It was nice since I think we took the trail backwards... so we ended up at the waterfall last instead of first...  Here are some pictures of our time there.

First, let me say that Kyle took these pictures... he also has a photography business - Black Sheep Studios.  He is very talented and he even got a picture of Dan and me!  While we were on the hike he let Dan borrow his other camera so Dan took pictures.... this happened while I was huffing and puffing on the ground b/c I guess altitude effects me or something... oh and I'm out of shape... that's probably it too.

 
 

 


After we finished out hike we went back to the little town near by - Evergreen, CO (I think) and got some ice cream and water.  We went to Baskin Robins which I haven't eaten at in FOREVER!  I went with the nostalgic feeling and got rainbow sorbet.  We then walked around the town.  They have a lot of art gallery type of places - so we looked in those.

Oh and on our way into town we saw some wildlife - some reindeers (or elks maybe?) and some female mooses... so cool... they used the cross-walk and everything


We then headed back to the hotel, but stopped off at an antique mall first... the place was HUGE so we didn't look at everything, but it's always fun to look around those places.

We went back to the hotel and relaxed a bit before getting ready and heading to dinner before the concert.  We went to Morrison, CO where the concert was and ate at Red Rocks Grill.

This is where the weird thing happened.  I ate dinner (and a couple of margaritas) and felt totally fine.  I went to the bathroom and on my way back to the table I felt like I was suddenly going to throw up.  I tried to ignore it, but couldn't... so I swiftly made my way back to the bathroom and proceeded to throw up... then suddenly I was done, and felt totally normal again.  It was the strangest thing... feeling fine, throwing up, feeling fine.  I'm blaming it on the altitude... I'm glad it didn't ruin the concert!

Then we headed over to Red Rocks.  It was very pretty drive in.  We parked and then began the trek up to the amphitheatre.  I remember looking up thinking we have to walk all the way up there?!?  But we made it and it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be... but it is a lot of hills and quite a few steps. 

Red Rocks is amazing!!  I don't want to come off as some sort of expert on musical venues - because I'm not... but it was amazing.  How the theater is set up... with the rocks and set back in the mountains.  You can see Denver in the distance... and we even got to see lightening in the distance during the show.  It really was as amazing as people say it is.  I'm so happy that I got to experience it... and I think everyone should experience it at some point in their life.





Awesome picture of us


As I mentioned before we saw Brit Floyd - a Pink Floyd Tribute band.  Supposedly they are the Worlds Greatest Pink Floyd tribute band.  What was really neat is they were recording the performance here to put on a DVD (we will be buying a copy - I mean how could you not?!?).  They were amazing.  Before I went I could probably tell you two Pink Floyd songs off the top of my head - Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall... but I did recognize more than I thought.  It was great... for the Wall they had a youth choir come out and sing the one part with kids.  They also had a great light show (which bounced off the rocks pretty amazingly) and really it was just a really fantastic concert.




Here is a video I found on YouTube with clips of the concert if you want to see more.


Like I said, it was a wonderful concert and I really think Dan made a great choice in picking Brit Floyd... the show was entertaining, fun to watch and sing along with.  The venue was fabulous... put that all together and it was a night I'll never forget!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Super cool venue!! Looks like a great concert!