Monday, August 26, 2013

Reflections: Living at Home

I thought a few reflection entries might be nice since there's a couple of things coming to an end as well as a big milestone for me.

I have been living at home for about two years. I moved home shortly after I got separated back in October of 2011. When I moved back home I wasn't really sure how long I would be staying. I think I planned to be out in a year, but obviously it was longer!

Some people would probably hate to have to move back home. And while there was some adjustments, living at home with my mom and sister (and brother for most of it too) was really amazing.

I am lucky to have a pretty great family. I like being around them and they support me when I needed it. I know that not everyone has this luxury and it's not one I take for granted. When I first moved back home it's exactly what I needed. To be in a house with other people who made an effort to spend time with me and talk to me. I really think being around them helped me get through the roughest parts of the divorce.

I am also blessed that I got to reconnect with all of my family. It was such a precious time in my life. Not many people get the option of living with their family when they are older and wiser and I was. This really helped me bond with my little sister. We have a great relationship now and I'm so happy I was able to spend time getting to know her better.

I am so thankful to have a mom that let me move back home like I did and while I did pay her some rent, it was minimal which gave me the ability to pay off my credit cards, car, and save money for the house I'm buying. She also let my cats live there (whole other post on that) which I really appreciate as well.

Overall I know that living at home isn't an option for everyone, but I'm really happy it was for me. It was a great two years of my life. I'm really going to miss coming home to my mom and sister and the random things that go on in the house... but I'm nearing 30 and it's time to spread my wings and fly!

No comments: