Thursday, August 15, 2013

Weekend in Review - The bummer summer weekend (New Recipe)


I wanted to write the house update post first before I got into the weekend post b/c that explains a lot of my mood this past weekend.... I was depressed, grumpy, and just overall not having it.

This weekend I should have done things like purged my clothes, help Dan pack and shop... but I was depressed about the house stuff and couldn't do anything related to it... which seems totally silly now, but at the time I was feeling pretty hopeless!

On Friday was when all that bad news happened... I was talking to my dad on the phone and he's spontaneously invited me to go to happy hour with him at Houlihans and I agreed.  I hoped in the shower and drove on over there.

It's always nice hanging out with my dad and shortly there after my step mom showed up too.  We had some beers and ordered an appetizer (goat cheese and artichoke bites - totally yummy and rich by the way) and ordered some dinner (I had some chicken tortilla soup).  It was really nice catching up with both of them.

After happy hour I went back to Dan's place and we just kept it low key that night.

On Saturday I didn't do a whole lot... however I did start a brand new cross-stitched Christmas stocking.  I have a feeling this one will take me forever... I mean look at all those symbols!


And that's just part of it... ugh!!  Hopefully it will be ready by next Christmas.

Saturday night Dan and I went over to my cousin's house to hang out.  Since I've been out of town so much (past three weekends) it's been awhile since I've seen everything, and it was good to be back.  I love our little group... and of course I missed Abby!

Sadly I left my phone at Andy's that night so on Sunday we had to drive all the way back there to get my phone... so much driving!  We did take Quina (she has a harness and leash thing... she hates it but allows Dan to take her outside).  Abby and Ari were real skeptical of the bird, but eventually they warmed up to her.  It's always fun seeing how people react to her.

Also, on Sunday night we made some burgers (at my request) and I made two side dishes - roasted broccoli (Susan was my inspiration) and chili roasted potatoes.

For the broccoli I got two fresh broccoli bunches and cut them up.  I also cut up about three cloves of garlic.  I put the broccoli in a mixing bowl with some olive oil and mixed in the garlic, some salt and pepper (and a little bit of garlic salt - I like garlic!).  I cooked it for 20-25 minutes - it was delicious!

For the potatoes I cut up three white potatoes (really only needed two...) and put them in the same mixing bowl with some oil (olive and then vegetable since I ran out of olive... and accidentally put a little too much) and then a couple of tablespoons of chili powder and a couple of shakes of crushed red pepper.  I spread them out on a cookie sheet (with the broccoli) and cooked at 425... now I'll say I didn't look the potatoes long enough.  They probably should have been in the oven for 40 minutes... but they were good with the chili powder.  I would make both of these things again... just cooking the potatoes longer.

After so many traveling weekends it was nice to have a low key one at home... especially since I leave again Friday for another weekend outside of St. Louis.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Dinner looks delicious! That bun on your burger looks awesome. Glad you liked the broccoli.

dsdddwddgdd said...

that dinner totally looks delicious..........its making my mouth water, and i don't really even like burgers that much...ha