Sunday, February 27, 2011

Annual Trivia Night

Last night was the 8th annual VA trivia night... and I have been to every single one of them. As you may recall we've been the champions the last 2 years... so we brought the team back together. This year the team consisted me and Chad (more on that in a minute), Dad and Janet, Keith (our knowledge-base lets face it) and Sarah, and finally Rachel and Scott. Like always we had a great spread of food... there was Imos, Buffalo Wild Wings, fruit, hummus and pita chips. The trivia night also provided sandwiches (I didn't have any) and really yummy QuikTrip cookies.

Chad was 10 days post surgery yesterday... so I wasn't sure if he'd be able to come. Luckily he was feeling pretty good. I was really happy he was there. My mom is the organizer of this event. It's like her big night. Her friends and family come to support this wonderful event. I got to see my grandma and aunt Ruth as well as my sister and some other very distant family members. I also got to see some coworkers and other friends of my mom that I don't see very often. It's very nice to catch up and see everyone.

My super mom also writes a majority of the questions. She is able to mix common knowledge with things that are on the tip of your brain. It's not like some trivia nights where by the end of the night you're feeling just plain stupid. It's a fun time and everyone can contribute.

So did we win the triple crown? As far as I know that's a big fat no. There was a team that had 100% until round 6 or so... we were near the top, but I don't think we finished first this year. Chad started to feel bad (like I said, 10 days after surgery... what'd ya expect??) so we left after round 9.

Some notable moments of last night...
  1. The question was name one of the inventors of YouTube. My brother remembered there was some Asian guy... so he jokingly guessed Steven Chu... but the correct answer was Steven Chen... so close!
  2. There was a question about an animal character that was orphaned, then wore a suit, married Celeste and became king. We were all baffled by the question and then Chad came up with Babar.
  3. Janet and Scott both coming up with the answer Swatch separately, but correctly.
  4. No one believing the picture was actually Mike Tyson...
My mom texted me this morning to say that they raised over $10,000 which is truly amazing! Mom- you do an awesome job on this event... you should be very proud of yourself. I'm already looking forward to next year.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Next time make sure to let me know about this event ahead of time. I am a quiz bowl coach and could probably organize a team or two to come down and dominate! :)

dsdddwddgdd said...

i love that you posted about trivia night! and, i'm always happy to hear that the night was fun. you know how much it means to me to have everyone i know in the same room and having fun.
va trivia night is always the 4th saturday in feb.