Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween Wreath

I don't have any Halloween decorations.  And I don't really have any door decorations in general (I have a Christmas wreath which I LOVE... but despite what Garden Ridge may tell you it's too early for Christmas.)

My plan is  to hopefully hit up some after Halloween sales for some decorations to save for next year, but I really wanted to do something to show the Halloween spirit!

So I searched the interwebs and found a few that I liked.  I sen them to my mom because I needed someone else's opinion on it... and then I decided to do this one.

I was a little intimidated about getting it right, but I just took it one step at a time.

First I hit up Joann's for all my supplies.  I got one yard of orange (nicer quality/thicker felt like she recommends on the blog) and a half a yard of black glitter felt.  The amount for the orange turned out just right for me, while I had pretty much left over of the black.  Luckily on their website I found a 20% off my entire purchase coupon.  So always look for that stuff, especially at craft stores!

Next I traced a bunch of circles onto my orange felt.

Then I began cutting - at first I just cut up small sections and then cut the circles.  I realized it would be much faster to cut all the circles into rough squares first
Just the beginning

All the squares cut out
I cut these circles while watching TV.  It was nice that I didn't have to be exact with anything - I really like that.  I liked how easy the task was, sometimes I like doing these repetitive tasks like cutting circles... it's easy, mindless and keeps my hand busy while watching TV.
All the circles cut out... you'll notice there's extra orange felt in the background... well I ended up using that so it's not technically all the circles I used
Then I got to making the actual wreath.  You simply take the circles, fold them in half, and half again and pin them onto the wreath.  I was pretty nervous about this part... but once I got going it was pretty easy.  I first worked on the inside of the ring and then moved onto the outside edge and then worked my way up and around.  I will say if I do this kind of wreath again I'll get pins with bigger heads on them.  I also totally stuck myself once by trying to push in the wrong side of a pin - OUCH!!
Don't you like how the orange comes off different in every pic?  I'm not good with my iPhone pics haha
Here's a close up

All done with the orange!
Then I added in some black so it said more 'Halloween' than 'orange wreath'.  I just kinda put a circle where it felt right.
Hanging up (I took this pic like 5:50 am on my way to take my mom to the airport)
I'm really happy with how it turned out.  It makes me want to make MORE wreaths.  I'm very excited about doing more crafts around the house.  I'm thinking I might even make another Halloween related craft soon - we shall see!!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I like this! If I were to do it, I would keep the wreath orange and then maybe get a big initial to go on it in black.

Susan said...

I think it looks awesome!! How many circles do you think you cut out? That looked like a lot!