Thursday, October 17, 2013

Weekend in Review: Columbus Day

I normally have three day weekends... so even though I know most people excited/happy to have three day weekends when a four day weekend rolls around for me it's truly amazing.

I'll admit Columbus Day is one of the goofier Federal Holidays... but whatever, if you had it off you'd be happy it was a holiday too.

My long weekend started out Thursday night.  My mom, sister and I had tickets to the Rocky Horror show at UMSL.  We first ate some dinner at Crushed Red... since I went to eat there with Susan I really thought my mom and sister would like it.  It was also fast so that helped with getting to the show on time.  They did like it (and so did I - yum!).  They were so fast with our food that we had time to get frozen yogurt beforehand too.  I love those places where you can get different varieties (I got peanut butter, chocolate brownie and strawberry) and add all the toppings you want (so easy to go overboard).

Then we headed up the Touhill and stood in line to get seats.  The show was in their smaller, Lee Theater which is nice for that show.  We ended up with great seats, up close and dead center.  I actually thought some of the actor were looking right at me haha.


The show was pretty great... I mean it's a lot of fun watching guys prance around in corsets, heels and thigh highs.  We saw a stage production of Rocky Horror a couple years ago at Meramac Community College.  That production definitely had better actors... I'm not an actor so I feel bad really judging things but UMSL just didn't have the umph that Meramac actors had at times.  However, UMSL did have great actors in the roles of Riff Raff (the best of the show), Rocky and Dr. Frank-N-Furter.  Overall it was a really fun show.  I love seeing Rocky Horror stage production.  UMSL did also use projected screens really well and also the areas around the the stage.  It was really enjoyable - plus kudos to all the actors for the demands that show has (i.e. being scantily clad in front of an audience of people).

Friday day ended up being me not doing a whole lot.  I did some chores and other random things around the house, but mostly I just relaxed and watched TV... oh and finished my wreath.

That night we met with some friends (Kyle and his friend Shelby).  First we ate some dinner at Cusenilli's and then headed to Plush for the Kentucky Knife Fight show.  There were two bands beforehand.  It went kind of late, but KKF is an amazing band.  We've seen them several times.  They are rock-a-billy and really entertaining (lots of different instruments) and the lead singer does some crazy stuff with his voice.  I really enjoyed Plush too - we were able to sit which at shows isn't always a given.
Plush!


The problem I have is with this medication I'm on when I drink, especially at night, I get super tired... so that sucks.  I'm still trying to balance when it works and when it doesn't... not always easy my friend!

Saturday was a pretty laid back day for me.  I did have to wake up pretty early to take my mom to the airport to go visit my brother, but that wasn't terrible.  I honestly didn't do too much and really I was happy about that.  I watched the Cardinal game and then took Dan and his friend John to the Blues game (so they didn't have to park).  I also did that crazy big grocery shopping trip you have to do ever so often.  I was going to make the bread that night, but the timing just didn't work out.

Sunday I went to Six Flags with Lindsey.  It was such a perfect day weather-wise.  The lines weren't too bad either.  We got to ride everything we wanted... although their newest roller coaster was closed for some reason.  Poor Lindsey gets motion sickness, so we probably shouldn't have rode some rides we did, but she's a trooper and made it through.  I really enjoyed spending time with her, as always!

Monday I did a lot of stuff around the house, including cleaning up the spare room in anticipation of an out of town guest next weekend.  I  also cooked the aforementioned food.  It was really nice having that extra day!

The best part about long weekends is short work weeks - holla!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend! You and your mom are always doing fun stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed crushed red. We need to go there again sometime. Yummy!