Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Cookies

I know this is late, but I just had to post about the cookies I made this Christmas. I made the most I've ever made - 5 different kinds. It was a lot of fun.

First I made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Chad requested this type of cookie. I googled a recipe and came up with this one - all of the comments seemed positive. They did not disappoint. They are crunchy and chewy at the same time. It did make way more than I expected. I will share my baking fail... the first batch I made I forgot the egg and vanilla... whoops... those didn't turn out so good.
A baking secret: I took my grandma's method and hand mixed the batters... it really ended up being a lot easier - maybe a little more messy, but easier in the long run.

Next I made Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies - I found this recipe while Stumbling. Here's where I tell the story that I had wonderful pictures of all of my cookies weeks ago, but I messed up when I was uploading them to my computer. Before I took replacement pictures Chad managed to eat all of these cookies. I'll go out on a limb and say these were Chad's favorite.

Next I made the final "new" cookie - Graham Cracker Snickerdoodles. I loved these. The graham crackers added something extra. Chad said they tasted like teddy grahams. I will say they were very crunchy - so it helped to dunk them in milk. I was really happy with how they turned out, and I think if (when) I make them again they'll be even better.
Then I made the awesome Peanut Butter Cookies from last year. Since they went over so well last year, I doubled the recipe. I also smushed them with a cup to make them more flat which helped (last year I forgot this step.) As you can see below I only sugared half of the cookies. Chad doesn't care for the sugar and I like it so I did some of both. Helpful hint: I always have a hard time (especially in this recipe where you want to end up with a certain number of balls) making the correct size balls. What I did was divide the whole batter into fourth (half and then half again) Each quarter would make 12 cookies. So I divided the quarter into half and then half again. Each of these sections would create 3 cookies. It was much easier figuring out 3 balls from a piece than 48 from a giant ball and dividing in half is pretty easy.
And finally I made cake balls (which I also made last year) What made it easier this year was I covered cardboard pieces (from a box I received in the mail housing my Dad's Christmas gift) in waxed paper. I made all of the balls and put them in the refrigerator for a few hours. This helps keep the balls in tack when dipping them in chocolate. Even though the picture below doesn't show it - I also made red ones. I alternated the chocolate colors in the microwave in containers I wouldn't mind tossing (I HATE cleaning up melted chocolate.) Each time I melted the chocolate it would dip about 8-10 balls. I would put sprinkles on every 3 dips.
And there was something special on the inside (sorry picture is so blurry)
That's right, I used red velvet cake to make it more Christmas-y!! I'm in love.

This little gadget my mom got me for Christmas last year made making the cookie balls for first 3 cookies so much easier!!
I also utilized my stand-up mixer Chris and Fran got me for Christmas last year. Made mixing SO much easier - LOVED it.

No comments: