Sunday, March 8, 2009

You'd Never Expect It

It's amazing what can happen... I mean you get up and go to work in the morning, expecting to come home from work and watch Survivor with your adorable husband... and then on your way home from work everything changes...

Alright... I'll start at the beginning.

Thursday night I was on my way home from work when my phone rings with an unknown number. I don't know about you guys, but I rarely ever answer a call from an unknown number... but I did this particular time. It was Chad. He informed me that he was in a motorcycle accident and my mind start to race. I asked him if he was okay and he said no, which freaked me out more... he said that he was sure he broke his collar bone but seemed pretty distracted and said he needed to go. Before he went I was able to gather a general location of where he could be, so I headed that direction.

Soon there after I got another call from a guy he was riding with. He was able to give me a better idea of where the accident had taken place and that they would take care of the bike (which is good b/c I don't know what I would have done) and they informed me that an ambulance would take Chad to the hospital. So I told them I would go ahead and head to the hospital.

I got to Barnes-Jewish shortly after he arrived there... and was taken to his room. He was there on the bed still on a back-board and in a neck brace... they were cutting off all his clothing. I was able to finally talk to him. He seemed to be able to have a good conversation with me... of course I was freaking out but being able to see and talk to him I knew that he was going to be okay.

I was able to hear what happened to him. He was in the right hand lane and a car came over two lanes and almost hit him (we guessed he didn't even see him there) so Chad took the exit ramp, however the ramp made a hard right, and he was going too fast. He hit the brakes and hit the guard-rail... he doesn't remember what happened after that but he woke up on the ground. No one really saw the accident and the car that ran him off the road did not stop...

Over the new few hours he had to get a CAT scan and x-rays of several different places. The ER staff was very thorough... they came back after awhile with the results...

Two doctors came into the room and shut the door. They said that he did have a broken collar bone and nothing else seemed to be wrong with the accident... however during his CAT scan something came up... they found a large mass on the back of his brain. After further review we found out in was a tumor... Chad has a brain tumor.

I was a little freaked out but Chad took the news very well. We found out that he was not cancerous and has probably been there for awhile. Chad has not been experiencing any of the symptoms that come with this type of growth. They wanted Chad to get an MRI so they could look at it more.

They kept Chad all night... and we had to wait most of the day Friday to talk to a neuro-surgeon. He found out the technical name for it: hemangioblastoma. Out of all the brain tumors you could have, this is the one you'd want... however they are wanting to remove it. We are going to meet with a neurosurgeon in the next couple of weeks to get more details.

After our meeting with the doc, Chad was discharged. I was so happy to be taking him home. In the end... It was probably good that we found this, although they say he could have gone his entire life without any problems (but if he did have problems they would be major.)

We're going to take this one step at a time... Chad is in very good spirits. This all could have been so much worse and he is very lucky that he came out like this. His bike actually looks better than expected. His helmet did save his life. He is always very good about wearing his gear and this is exactly why.

So we are okay... I'll keep everyone posted on what's up with my baby... but for now we are just going to handle this as it comes.

I love him very much and something like this makes you realize just how much you can love a person.


2 comments:

Angie said...

OMG I am so sorry to hear this. But it sounds like it's not that bad. Everything happens for a reason and maybe the accident was meant to happen so you'd find this tumor in time. I will be thinking of your guys and hoping he will be ok.
And you're right, your life can change in an instant. It's really scary.

Emily said...

I think Angie must be right...everything must happen for a reason. So glad everything turned out OK. Good thoughts & prayers are with you!