Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Poor Apple Tree

If you live in the midwest you know that it has been quite the year for storms. It seems like every other day we are getting very strong storms in the St. Louis area with hail, winds, rain and even tornados... I've never been one to get all panic-y about storms, but after the tornado in Sunset Hills, the tornado that hit the airport and the horrible tornado that hit Joplin, MO I'm starting to get more and more nervous about these storms. It's gotten a little out of hand in my opinion.

I love storms, I love listening and watching them. I think the rain is relaxing and really all this rain hasn't really bummed me out, I've really been enjoying it! But geez... now I get all freaked out!

A crazy little strom rolled through in the wee hours on Saturday. You could hear how windy it was. Thankfully Chad was home and I asked him if we should worry about tornados... he said no, so it was easier to sleep. The lightening and thunder were crazy! We heard a loud bang and was pretty sure it knocked out our cable and internet... and I even made a comment to Chad how thankfully we still have the power, about a minute later another loud bang and suddenly no power... sad face!!

It started to get very hot in the house, we've already decided to keep the place a lot warmer this year to cut down on energy costs so it was already pretty warm. The rain cooled things off outside so we opened some windows in the house. That's when we spotted the tree... our apple tree blew over!!

Now this is very sad, and I love the trees in my yard, but honestly I'm not that surprised about this tree. It poor little branches already get so weighed down by the apples, and it sits on our hill it already had a good lean going on. Chad was going to try to ancher it more than we already had, but just never got around to it. So really, we aren't surprised by this... but it's still sad. I think we'll plan to plan another tree, but probably not for another year or two... maybe we'll let the ground recovery a bit.


Luckily the tree didn't hit the house or a car or anything... just the fence. We thought it might have bent the fence bar, but it looks like we lucked out there too. Chad started to cut it up yesterday, and hopefully we'll have it cleared out soon...


RIP Apple tree... we had some good memories... like discovering you were an apple tree, coming home to applesauce from our honeymoon and throwing apples to Rowdy like they were balls. I didn't get much use from you since I'm somewhat allergic to apples... but I'll miss you.

PS... look at all the other plants around the base... someone hasn't been doing a good job trimming... I'm not pointing any fingers...

No comments: