Friday, April 29, 2011

One Helluva Week

And it's really only been since Wednesday afternoon... so maybe I should title this post one helluva way to end the week...

I talk about work on here from time to time, but it's not a topic I dive very much into. I feel like keeping my work life separate from this blog is a good idea. I wouldn't want to say anything mean and then everyone at works knows I'm talking bad about somebody... and quite frankly a lot of my stresses at work are hard to explain to those that do not understand my job.

Well, around this joint the mantra is always apply for any jobs that you are eligible for... apply apply apply. So that's what I do... I want to keep my options open and I need to get to the next pay scale in order to become eligible for what I'm now going to call my "dream job" of a project manager. Well, I applied for this position in a different department still within my organization. I currently work in programs and this job would be in fiscal department.

I ended up getting an interview. I didn't really want this job... it's not my ideal choice... but I went through the motions. I even did the whole interview to get experience interviewing when a job you really want comes along. The interview was a little over a week ago and on Wednesday I was offered the position. I was really hoping I wouldn't be in this spot to have to decide about a job I love (my current one) and a new job that I'm not sure I'll like and takes me out of the area I want to stay in. Let me interject to say that I'm so thrilled they picked me. I'm so proud of myself for making it through the HR process and nailing the interview (something I usually blow at)... but in the end it was a really really tough position.

I talked to some people here would are familiar with the way out system works and the people involved. I talked to Chad and my parents. I even ended up talking to my boss and every one of them believed the right idea was to take the position. So mid-morning today I accepted the position. It will be on a different pay scale and it's slightly more money in the short term and a lot more money in the long term. I will need a year at this grade in order to apply based on merit for my "dream job". So it's great to have this step available to me.

Does anyone sense that the story isn't over yet??

Well, about 3 hours after I accepted the position I got a call about another job I had applied for. One I'm very much interested in that I thought fell off the face of the earth. It's more in line with what I want to do in my career and it's a better ladder position (meaning that not only will I start a pay scale higher than I'm currently at, in as short as another year I could be moved into the pay scale above that). I'm just at a loss... this week has not gone the way I expected it to. I think I know how I'm going to handle the situation... but man... life is funny sometimes... like when it rains it pours... or something like that.

Either way... I have a new position... so go me!!

No comments: