Monday, April 18, 2011

Art Class

On Friday night my mom and I took another art class. I was looking back through my posts and realized I must have not written about when we took our first class... so let me start at the beginning.

Late last year my mom and I both decided to buy a Groupon for an art class at the South Broadway Art Project. We didn't really know what to expect, but my mom and I both enjoy doing artsy things. We signed up to take a class where we painted windows in Matisse inspired paintings. While I was not in love with the painting I ended up doing, it was such a relaxing night. It was so much fun to go to a place and just paint in a relaxing atmosphere where everyone was there to have fun.

My mom and I were going to take a second class and signed up for Drawing with Scissors, however it ended up being the week of Chad's surgery... so I ended up not going.

On Friday we did another art class - slab pottery - for my mom's birthday (I let her pick the class). We started out the evening by having dinner at Benton Park Cafe. I've been by this place like a million times and they always have a big crowd so I've been wanting to try it out. It was so so so so tasty!! Their menu isn't huge, but it has a ton of things to choose from, plus I enjoy when places serve breakfast menu all the time. I would totally recommend it. They are open for 24 hours on Friday and Saturday... might have to remember that for a late night dinner.

Then we headed over to the class. Like I said above we did slab pottery, serving trays, platters, etc. It was really relaxing playing with the clay. When I was in high school I took a ceramics class... it really reminded me of that. It was fun to just work with really fresh clay and get to do whatever you wanted to do. I wish I would have taken a picture of my piece, I'll have to remember to share my picture when I get the finished piece at the end of the month.

That's another good part about these classes is they do all of the set up and most of the clean up and have all the supplies and they give you help and guidance on what might help your piece look better. I'm hoping to do another class soon, maybe even for mother's day. Another good thing about their classes is you can bring your own food and drink (including alcohol). They have a kitchen and utensils you can use as well.

I would totally recommend the South Broadway Art Project to anyone. Their Canvas, Cocktails 'n More classes are awesome. If you're looking for a casual, relaxing night, this is totally a great place to go. While the classes I have been to a mostly women, there are men as well. I'd like Chad to go with me, but he's just not interested. If you have any questions - let me know, and if someone ever wants to go with me I'm there!

3 comments:

Christina said...

How much does it cost? It sounds like fun, as long as it isn't over $25-$30, but it sounds like it's more expensive than that. I've been wanting to take cooking classes, but the ones I've seen (the one you took with my principal) are too expensive.

Jenn said...

The class is only $25 so to me it's well worth it for the night. Yes, the cooking class Chad and I took was far too expensive to do on our own, but we got that as a gift.

dsdddwddgdd said...

TOTALLY worth the money! SO relaxing! this ceramics class was a perfect end to a NOT perfect week and day. nothing like wedging clay to get a little bad energy out of the soul. thank you, jenn. it was a lovely birthday gift. and, i second the notion that benton park cafe ROCKS!