Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Grandparents

Last Saturday I spent the day visiting with family. My mom, brother and I took my grandma (mom's mom) to visit my other grandparents (dad's parents). As you probably know from reading this blog my parents are divorced. So it might seem strange that my mom and her mom are visiting my dad's parents... but for me it doesn't seem strange at all. My parents were able to maintain a friendly relationship for the sake of my brother and me. I think this is one of the biggest reasons that their divorce did "screw me up". My grandparents were also able to remain friends.

I am lucky to say that I still have 75% of my grandparents around. Sadly we lost my grandpa (mom's dad) 10 years ago this November. It's a sad topic and I still get a little teary eyed thinking about it. I've wanted to write a post about my grandpa for awhile, but I just haven't wanted to tackle it. Hopefully soon...

But that's not really the point of this blog entry.... on Sunday we visited my grandparents. They live in Cuba, MO so I don't get to see them as often as I should. They are getting older, my grandma is in her early 90's and my grandpa is in his late 80's. They are doing very well, I really feel like my grandma will never die... nothing can get her down. She bounces back from everything it seems and it seems like my grandpa never gets sick. They still live on their own in the same house that we would visit in the summers.

We did a lot of driving around to get out to Cuba. We started off in South County, drove to O'Fallon to pick up my grandma (mom's mom) then to Eureka, MO to pick up Phil's BBQ. Phil's is a south county/city BBQ place. It was by my grandparent's other home. So we typically bring it b/c it's easy and tasty. Then we went from Eureka out to Cuba. And of course we had to make our way back, luckily we didn't have to stop back in Eureka.

I think all of my grandparents has a fun time visiting with each other. Especially my dad's parents. I really think they can get a little lonely, especially my grandma who can't really get out of the house anymore (or when she does, it's a big ordeal). We got to talk about all sorts of different things, it seems like my grandpa is more talkative about his military days. He was part of D-Day in WWII, and it's not something he refers to very much. I'm sure it was a tough thing to live through so I can understand not wanting to remember it.

Saturday was a very lovely day. I'm very happy it worked out for all of us to go, especially that my brother was also able to go. So my moral of the story... visit your grandparents, they really appreciate it!

Here are a couple of pictures of my grandparents... these are from a couple of years ago.

1 comment:

dsdddwddgdd said...

grandma will be 94 at the end of may; grandpa is 90, i believe? they celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary today! family is so important. this is a terrific couple and i'm so happy we all enjoy visiting each other so much.