Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Weekend in Review: Family and Hockey

On Thursday night I was suppose to go to a late night happy hour with a couple of friends... but then the bad weather moved in... and we decided to postpone.  It made me sad I wouldn't be gobbling up food and sucking down beers with good friends... but I was happy to stay in on a snowy night and watch The Song of Music Live on NBC.  I love musicals and the Sound of Music is one of the best.  It's awesome when you know all the songs and it's just a big sing-a-long with myself... that would last for days let me tell you.  I'm still breaking out My Favorite Things from time-to-time.  Was the acting great? Not really... Did Carrie Underwood live up to Julie Andrews?  Absolutely not - but who in their right might thought that would happen?  It's Julie Andrews for crying out loud... let's set reasonable expectations here.  My expectation was I would enjoy it for what it was - and that's exactly what I got... well, I actually enjoyed it MORE than I expected... so bam!  And now I'll step off my soapbox...

On Friday, I decided to go ahead and brave the weather to take my grandma pajama shopping.  I'm not sure if I've talked about this before but ever since I was 16 I have taken my Grandma shopping to buy all the kids pajamas for Christmas (yes, I'm still a kid, I don't think I'll ever outgrow the getting PJs from Grandma thing).  It's our little tradition and I really do enjoy it... although Grandma has become less decisive over the years and I do try to force her to make decisions for the kids haha.

This year since the weather was more crappy and Grandma doesn't get around as good as she used to, I asked my sister to come along to help out.  She thankfully agreed and I have to say it was so much easier having her there.

We went to lunch first and then went over to Target and got all the PJs we needed.  Lindsey, Grandma and I had a lot of fun - I do enjoy spending time with Grandma and my mom told me later that Grandma really enjoyed her day with us too - so that meant a lot to me.

Friday night we stayed in... Dan actually grilled burgers (with bacon) (in the snow) and make mashed potatoes with Bearnaise (not Burmese) sauce.  It was awesome.  He's a great cook!!

Saturday was one of those days where it feels like nothing is really planned and then I suddenly have stuff to do all day.  My day started out with some cleaned and general chores.  Then I finally started my Christmas shopping.  It was fun to start purchasing all the things I've thought about getting.

After that I got ready and my dad picked me up.  He wanted help putting up their Christmas tree.  He was already in the neighborhood to pick up my Grandpa who would be staying with him.  So we headed up to my dad's and put the tree up while he stressed out over the Mizzou game on TV.

Around six my dad took me downtown to meet Dan, Kyle and Michelle for the Blues game that we bought tickets to earlier that day.  We got a fairly good deal and it was fun - especially to take Michelle to her first game... sadly the Blues lost... although we did get to see them score - so yay for that.

Sunday was a totally easy day... just lounged around the house.  I did some cross-stitching, grocery shopped and make Italian Beef.  I also made cookie dough (finally baked them last night, I'll be back to share about that).  I finished off the day by watching the Amazing Race finale.

Overall it was a wonderful weekend!!

No comments: