Monday, December 9, 2013

RECIPE: Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

I was on my way home from work early on Thursday (they let us out early due to the inclement weather) and thought it was probably a good idea to have some food in the house... you know if it really did get that bad out...

I have the hardest time making up my mind on what to make for dinner.  I usually go with the same old things (tacos, pasta, frozen meal)... but I decided to make stuffed peppers... and not only that I kinda sorta made up my own recipe.

It is loosely based on this recipe... mostly because I didn't know times and such...

First I browned my ground turkey

Then I added some spices... paying zero attention to how much I put in... I also added a packet of taco seasons (not pictured)

Then added a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and a can of Rotel (I didn't drain, but should have), and some frozen corn (not pictured) and added some water and let it sizzle together

Cored the peppers (yes, I got rid of those extra seeds that clung on for dear life

Arranged neatly in a baking pan


Filled up the peppers - it only used about half of what I made and baked them
Here's what they looked like out of the oven


Added some cheese and ate - yum!

Full Recipe:

1 pound of ground turkey
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of Rotel (drained)
1 cup of frozen corn (or whatever looks right)
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Crushed Red Pepper
2 bell peppers
Mexican Cheese

Brown the meat.  Add the taco seasoning, black beans, Rotel, seasonings, and corn.  Add some water (whatever is on the back of the taco seasoning packet).  Cover and let simmer

Cut the peppers in half and core them.  Place in baking pan.

Fill each of the peppers with the meat mixture.  Add some water to the bottom of the pan (the recipe I linked to said 1/3 cup - I had a LOT of water left at the end, so I think a 1/4 a cup would be enough, maybe even less).  Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until peppers get soft.  Remove the foil and add cheese and put peppers back in oven for 5 minutes.

Serve them up and eat!!  Like I said, I only used about half of my meat mixture.  The other half would be good for tacos, nachos, or anything like that.