Monday, January 14, 2013

Number 1 - Becoming Sister Wives

I finished my first book today of 2013.  I read Becoming Sister Wives:  The Story of an Unconventional Marriage by the Brown family. (photo from Amazon)


This book is written by the Brown family who are the focus of TLC's Sister Wives show.  I began watching their show from the beginning.  I enjoy looking into a life that's different from my own.  I quickly fell in love with the Brown family.  They were so... normal, nothing like a polygamist family I would expect.  And what became even scarier was I could totally understand some of the reason why they choose to live this lifestyle.

I was hoping that the book would give me more insight on the family.  It does seem like on the show they want to portray that they are a big happy family - and for the most part that's very true, but they weren't always that way.  This book does explore some jealousy and their past in making this lifestyle work - although in my opinion they could have gone even more in depth and I would be interested.

My conclusion of the book is making a marriage work is difficult... making 4 different marriages - all to the same guy work is even more difficult.  You hear on the show and in the book about how living this plural lifestyle makes them a better person.  To me I've always thought why would you want to force yourself to deal with jealousy all the time.  You can even more easily take on just one husband and significantly cut down on any jealousy.  But I sort of get that argument now.  Sometimes when you are in a relationship the other person helps you work on your "issues" for lack of a better word.  Right now I'm with Dan and he's a much more laid back person than I am.  I tend to worry or what to plan or whatever and he's helped me just chill out more.  I like that he's been able to do that for me, so I can see why being with a person or in a relationship can just make you be a better person.

I'm probably not making a whole lot of sense... but I will say that after reading this book and watching their show why not let them life this plural lifestyle... I may not want to do it, but they certainly aren't harming anyone by doing it.  I wish the best of luck to them and I can't wait to tune into the new season, whenever that may happen.

No comments: