Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 New Years Resolutions - How did I do?

I like to start out the new blog year by formally announcing my New Years Resolutions.  But first, let's see how I faired on 2012 resolutions... spoiler alert... I don't think it's pretty...

Here they are copy and pasted from that entry... my comments are below in red.

  • Have both my credit card and car paid off.  I hope to reach this goal by August.  I am hoping to move into my own apartment around that time too depending on money/savings.  -I completed this!  And earlier than my goal of August (by a month - July)  I'm happy to say that I haven't added to my debt any now only have student loans... I also managed to save some money.
  • Bring lunch and stop eating out as much.  I think I'm going to limit myself to two times out per week.  I'm going to clarify here that this particular goal is about me saving money, so if other people are paying it doesn't count in the two week total.  I'd also like to give myself some wiggle room, so I'll add like two flexible times out a month... I think that sounds good... I may need to re-evaluate that, but I would really like to start saving the money.   -Total and utter fail... but I really enjoy food!
  • Going along with above, I am going to start budgeting more.  I have spreadsheet developed, I'm not exactly sure how it's all going to work out and what particular goals I want to set to go along with this, but I guess the overall goal is to be more aware of where my money is going and hopefully set realistic and good limits for everything.  I will hopefully keep you posted on that once I get into a groove.  Just because I'm taking about it now, I've know I need to budget more but after I moved out there was just so much stuff that's just not normal.  So I decided to start fresh in the New Year.   - I'm going to call this completed.  I kept up with my spreadsheet the entire year.  This year I hope to start budgeting more, however I think that will probably start whenever I'm in my own home.  I will say that when my debt was paid off I developed a new system for how I will deposit money in my savings.  I'm really happy with how I developed and continue to use my system :)
  • For my health - I want to get into a workout routine and eating healthier.  I know eating out less will really help.  The working out will be what I really need to add.  I would love to lose 20 pounds (at least) but right now I just want to add in being active.    -Um, fail!  I have recently bought a gym membership, so hopefully 2013 is the year!
  • While this isn't so much a goal, but something I am looking forward to... I'll be done with my master's degree in May... holla!!    -Completed!  And it felt pretty darn amazing!
  • Finally, I would like to continue the blogging trend.  Here will be my measurable goal for 2012... I want to blog more in 2012 than I did in 2011.  Like I mentioned, I had 176 in 2011... I'm going to set the goal of 180 posts... that averages to 15 posts a month   -FAIL!  I just didn't get into blogging this year  Part of that was computer issues.  I really do like blogging so expect this one back next year.  I did make it to a whole 50 posts last year... of course 30 of those were short I'm thankful posts... so... we'll see what 2013 brings!!
 So there's my recap from last year... didn't fair quite as badly as I thought, however there's a TON of room for improvement!  It seemed like 2012 was the year that I got my finances in order... and I'm soo soo proud and happy I was able to.  It feels really great to not be in debt and just feel like I can handle finances now!  I'll be back tomorrow with my 2013 resolutions.

No comments: