Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Master's Degree?

Lately I've been thinking more and more about getting a master's degree... but I'm not convinced I'm ready yet... On one hand I feel like a bachelor's degree just isn't going to cut it like it once did... I feel like a bachelor's degree just puts you in on the normal playing field and the only way to set yourself apart is getting the master's... I feel more ready now than ever before to get a masters. I finally feel like I have an area of study that both interests me can help me move forward where I'm working...

With that being said... getting a master's degree would be a lot of time, effort and work... I'm not sure I'm ready to commit my evenings to school again...

The most ideal program would let me do some online classes and some classroom classes... maybe thinking about Webster...

Now would be the time to do it... I don't have any kids running around... and it would be a lot easier to do the work now... but it's also a lot of money... What should I do?

3 comments:

Liz said...

I finished mine, and was happy to get it done for a few reasons.
1. no kids, so I have more time
2. need it to keep teaching certification
3. the opportunity arose
4. Pay raises

Does your job require that you have it to advance? If so, then it's a good advancement. However, I would think twice before getting another degree just to get it. It can also deter employers from hiring you because they have to pay you more. Each situation is different. Good luck deciding!

Chris said...

Typically, the Govt has excellent tuition assistance programs. So, if you're ready to jump back into school and feel that it will benefit your job - talk to HR and find out how much they'd be willing to pay.

Also, Webster has great evening programs and caters to the working professional. Although it was 15 years ago when I rec'd my Masters, I loved their 8-wk classes - more intense but less time in the long run (hopefully, they still have that type of curriculum)!!

What type of program are you considering pursuing?

WolfmansRazor said...

i think it would be a great career move; i feel advanced degrees will be more and more important to a successful career. just shop around until you find one that best suits your goals and time commitments