Monday, January 13, 2014

It's been a minute and Cake Balls

Well... I haven't posted anything in awhile... geez.  Mostly because I had a couple of weeks off work and just kinda did a computer detox (yes, still checked things on my phone, but writing a whole entry on my phone isn't the most fun)...

Then we had a crazy winter storm and I was teleworking all last week.  By the end of the day I was so sick of my stupid laptop.  I mean, I'm sure I'm about to sound spoiled now, but going from two large monitors to a tiny laptop screen would make anyone crazy!

So here I am... almost the middle of January with SO MUCH to catch up on!

Here are the things I want to write about to capture my own memories:

  • Christmas
  • Stay-cation
  • 2013 Wrap Up
  • 2013 Resolutions - How did I do?
  • 2014 Resolutions
Since I don't want this post to just be a teaser of all the things I'm meaning to write about... I'll write about cake balls.

These are what I make for Christmas... over at my dad's family they just love them.  I've made them for a few years now... Looking back, I'm not sure I've posted about this before...

Anywho - I always use red velvet cake combined with green chocolate.  This way when you bite into them they are red!  I add Christmas colored sprinkles to the top.

This year I did something a bit different with them.  The last couple of years my dad said he thinks they would be even better with a cream center.  My brother has always disagreed.  This year I decided to research and see if it was possible to put in a cream center.  So I googled and found this recipe.  It seemed easy enough so I went for it.

Making the cream filling was a bit challenging because I did not need to make as much as the recipe called for since I was only filling half of the balls with cream (man I'm feeling like there's some dirty jokes in here or at least a good 'that's what she said')  It was a fair amount of guessimation on my behalf, but I think I figured it all out - just kept tasting and adding things.

I made little holes in half the balls and added the cream through a make-shift piping bag (Ziploc with a corner cut off)... I'm not going to lie - I really enjoyed this part, maybe I need to pipe things more often?  Then you cover the cream with a bit more cake ball mixture.
Half with holes

Cream filling!

I got a mixed reaction at Christmas about which were better - cream or no cream... I think the no cream won out, however everyone told me that both were good.  I know it's weird, but I don't really eat them, so I can't tell you which I think is better either :)
All pretty and finished - the dark green had no cream and the light green did
Oh and for whatever record in case I look back on this next year and wonder what I did - I bought 4 bags of chocolate this year (2 of each color) and ended up only using 2... in years past when I've tried that I always ended up needing more... figures huh?

1 comment:

dsdddwddgdd said...

they look really pretty. sadly, i can't comment on which tasted better, since i wasn't privvy to this delight. maybe next year...