Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Roller Coasters

I want to do a day-by-day recap of my trip - but instead of starting at the beginning I'm going to tell you about Carowinds.  My sister Lindsey and I went to Carowinds of the 2nd full day of our vacation.  Carowinds is near the city of Charlotte, NC however the amusement park straddles the North and South Carolina border. 

I originally heard of this park while watching a new favorite television show - Bert the Conqueror.  So when I realized we'd be right near this place I asked if we could spend a day there.

Of course it was SO FREAKING HOT... I don't think I've ever sweat that much in my entire life.  But luckily it made all the lines pretty short!

One think I will say about Carowinds in general is that they allow for storage of bags, prizes, drinks, etc on all rides.  This makes planning for the park much easier.  We didn't know this going in, so wore a fanny pack (I know...)  we were worried they might do something similar to what Six Flags St. Louis does by forcing you to put any bags, purses, whatever into lockers... talk about annoying.

So here I'm going to review all the ride, most of which roller coasters, that we rode on.

Afterburn:



Description: 
32-passenger, inverted steel coaster with floorless cars suspended below the track. Takes guests on six inversions including a space drop, a vertical loop, an immelman, a batwing, a flat spin and finally into a spiral.

My Thoughts:
This coaster is very similar to the Batman, hower it has some unique twists and turns.  This ride was incredible smooth as most inverted coasters are.  This was probably my second favorite coaster in the park.  Lindsey somehow hit her head while riding so she wasn't the happiest.

Carolina Cobra




Description:
Carowinds introduces a new species to the Carolinas, with the introduction of the Carolina Cobra. This 125-foot tall towering twisting serpent will send riders speeding through three inversions, including a cobra roll and a 360-degree loop - both forward and then again backwards.

My Thoughts:
This is a unique coaster experience.  It first backs you up a hill, then releasing and going around a few twist turns and loops to a second hill where you get pulled up and then released again to do the whole thing backward.  I'd like to say this is something like Mr. Freeze as you go forward and backward... however, it's not nearly as cool as Mr. Freeze... I was pretty eh about this coaster.

Carolina Cyclone



Description:
A steel coaster that spins guests through four consecutive 360 degree loops and a 450 degree uphill helix.


My Thoughts:
This ride is nearly identical to Ninja.  I will say it was somewhat smoother than Ninja.  I also enjoy when coasters travel over sidewalks as this one does.  This is what I would call just an old-school upside down coaster.

Carolina Goldrusher



Description:
This wooden mine train rollercoaster takes you on a harrowing adventure

My Thoughts:
This ride reminded me of the Minetrain, however this one is slightly bigger.  My biggest complaint on this coaster was the seating.  My butt barely fit in the seat and the knee bar and my long legs wasn't very comfortable either.  Despite that, I enjoyed the twists and turns and the finishing tunnel.  More coasters should utilize the tunnel.

Intimidator



Description:
The tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in the Southeast!

My Thoughts:
This is hands-down one of the best roller coasters I have ever ridden ever.  It is based off of a NASCAR - Dale Earnhardt.  For one the seats are alternated - two in the center, two on the outside which gives a better view of what's coming.  The lap bar at first was a bit scary - it didn't feel secure enough, however when the ride got started this wasn't concerning at all.  It takes you up this monsterous hill really fast and the first drop is takes your breath away.  This ride doesn't go upside down but instead the hills make you lift out of your seat... so much fun!!

Nighthawk



Description:
The Carolina's only flying coaster soars riders through eight inversions, most while flying facedown, zooming toward the ground and turning skyward just in time for the next inversion.

My Thoughts:
This was a new roller coaster experience for me.  I was really excited about testing this out... the whole superman pose sounded pretty exhilerating.  The ride is definately different.  I had mixed feelings about it.  I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.  It kind of hurt my hip quite a bit (I have some hip problems)  The seats were an odd contraption.  Overall it's worth riding a ride like this at least once, b/c it's a unique experience!

Ricochet


Description:
A "Wild Mouse" rollercoaster featuring 17 curves that will drop, twist, bank and curl riders throughout the 1200 ft-long track.

My Thoughts:
This is just a fun coaster... when I say twists and turns - I mean it... the first part of this coaster is S-ing back and forth... such tight turns... it's pretty neat.  The cars only sit 4 people so it can make those super tight turns.

Thunder Road



Description:
Twin-racing rollercoasters that take you through two U.S. states - North and South Carolina

My thoughts:
This coasters seats were pretty painful.  Actually some kids in front of us were making fun of me for the noises I was making.  There were fun parts, but it wasn't very comfortable.  Wooden coasters are like this sometimes - especially older ones... however this one was worse than normal.

Vortex



Description:
This stand-up rollercoaster takes you on a 50-m.p.h. series of fun-filled loops and dramatic drops.

My Thoughts:
The entire time I was riding this coaster I was thinking 'oh god just let it be over already!!'  It's a standup coaster - and I've ridden one of them before.  This one was just painful... seriously painful.  I hadn't been 'lock in' to my seat height yet and bounced around to readjust, but then my seat locked in higher so my feet couldn't touch the ground - so I was on my tip toes the entire time... it was not fun.

Drop Tower



Description:
Strap into an open car and lift 160 feet into the air at a speed of 16 feet per second. Feel the tension build as you’re held for a few seconds, and then dropped all the way down on a 100-foot, 56 mph freefall—all in complete safety. Just 60 feet above the ground, the ride’s magnetic braking system saves you from gravity.

My Thoughts:
These rides are always fun.  I also enjoy the tension at the top... when is it going to drop?!?  After riding Superman at Six Flags this ride doesn't feel as tall or cool... but it's still a fun time... plus the view is awesome.

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill

(No available picture...)

Description:
We need your help! Climb aboard one of our interactive Boo Blaster cars and challenge your friends to see who can capture the most ghosts!


My Thoughts:
This ride was great... but mostly b/c it was air conditioned... ahhhh the cool air.  You're suppose to shoot at stuff, but getting the gun to actually work was challenging... oh well, we didn't ride it to shoot stuff!

Overall, Carowinds is a pretty fun place... especially the Intimidator... I could have rode that a few more times... Lindsey just wanted to leave, drat her!  We should have hit the water park considering it wasn't very crowded.  Word of Advice... don't go when it is 105* out!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Where is the picture of you in the fanny pack? Can't believe you admitted to that!! ha! I love rollercoasters. I'm jealous!