Sunday, July 11, 2010

New Orleans - Day 1

A few weeks ago I had a conference in New Orleans. When my mom found out I was going to be down there we decided to take a va-cay. Neither of us had been to New Orleans before so we were both excited to see what all the fuss was about... and boy was everyone right, it is quite a town. At times it feels like a European city. We did a crap-ton of walking (I don't think I could ever convey exactly how much walking we did) and it was pretty hot and humid out. We kept joking that if it were this hot in St. Louis there's no way we'd be out walking in it...

Anyway onto the pictures.

Since I worked that morning I was WAY hungry by the time my mom and I hit the streets. So our first dining out experience was at tourist place. Bubba Gump Shrimp. The food was tasty and it was nice to have something in my belly other than pastries from the free conference refreshments that morning.
When we were finished it was pouring down rain. Luckily we were right next to a National Historic Park Site so we popped in there until the rain stopped.
After the rain stopped we started our way toward Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral. On our way there we decided to take a horse and carriage tour.
Next we walked through Jackson Square.
We walked through St. Louis Cathedral... what beautiful stained glass! (which you can't really see in the picture, but trust me on that one)
Then we ate beignets at the famous Cafe Du Monde.
We also learned that the waiters actually pay for the food first and then you pay the waiter back... very interesting.
After we were full with beignets we walked around a bunch and ended up walking down Bourbon Street. And then decided to ride the St. Charles Street cars. We rode the entire track, and it was a looooong ride, but we got to see the beautiful garden district.
After our long ride we headed back to the hotel. We cuddled up to a $14.99 movie on our hotel TV (The Bounty Hunter... it was okay). But overall we had a great first day!!

No comments: