Monday, March 10, 2014

Weekend in Review: End of February and Beginning of March

I am so totally behind in posting... and it's not like I don't have things to post about - but I totally do!!  I have been baking and I've already checked three things off my baking bucket list that I need to share with you!

Before we get to those recipes I want to talk about what's been going on outside of the baking world and to do this we have to go back three weekends!  Let's see what I can remember.

February 21-23:
On Friday, Lindsey and I had a sister lunch at the King and I - one of our favorite restaurants.  It was a delicious lunch and before we parted ways we stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond to scope out a potential birthday gift for our mom.  I also bought a kitchen gadget I've been needing - a pastry cutter thing.  I can't remember what we did that night, so it must have not been that interesting.

On Saturday we had an impromptu barbecue.  Dan's sister and her fiance came, along with our friend Caleb and Dan's friend from high school and his fiancee. (look both correct uses of fiance!)  I ended up making an item off the baking bucket list.  It was a real fun night and makes me look forward to spring and bbqs!

On Sunday Dan and I went to Stephen and Zoa's (Kyle was there too) to watch the Daytona 500.  It ended up being kind of a bust since the race was mostly rained out - but it was fun hanging out together.

That next week (February 24-28) I had to travel for work to Salt Lake City.  I haven't traveled for work since May of 2011.  I was dreading the trip, especially since I had a friends night planned for Survivor which started that week... but when you set your expectations very low it's easy to exceed them.  The trip went pretty well and I got to eat a lot of fantastic food... one night I even got homemade gelato (salted caramel yumm)  I got to meet some interesting folks too.   Overall the trip was pretty nice and went by a lot faster than I expected.

February 28-March 2:
Friday was my travel home day... not very exciting.  I don't think we did anything that night... oh wait I totally caught up on all the TV I missed and hung out with the cats that were in desperate need for attention while Dan went to a minor league hockey game. 

On Saturday we mostly hung around the house (and grocery shopped) and then it was TRIVIA NIGHT TIME!!  We do it every year - my mom's trivia night at the VA.  I had such a good time and we did pretty well without Keith.  I was the writer which I hate being because I can't spell very well, but it ended up being nice b/c I felt smarter because I could write down the answer real fast if I knew it. 

After the trivia night we went to the Kentucky Knife Fight concert at Off Broadway.  It was a lot of fun and the best part about showing up late is we didn't have to wait as long to see the band we wanted to see - score!  When we left the bad weather hit and it was pretty slick out.  Luckily Kyle drove us in his big truck so we were able to get home despite the ice on everything.

Since the winter storm came in that day we spent a quiet Sunday at home - which I loved since I had been gone so much the past week.

Finally March 7-9:
On Friday we celebrated my mom's birthday!  Since I had taken back my KitchenAid mixer Lindsey, Keith and I went in together to get my mom one of her own!

She loved it!  We then took her to The Fountain on Locust for lunch (and ice cream duh!!)  We were then going to go paint pottery at this place, but got there and it was out of business... So we ended up going to some second hand shops among other places - like getting Lindsey's car washed and Target.  I ended up making a big home purchase too that I can't wait to share with you!

I'd love to talk about how great the rest of my weekend way, but honestly it just wasn't.  I was sick (Friday included) and so I mostly took it easy all weekend.  I feel better today and I'm sure that was because I just relaxed... although I did bake another item.

That catches you up on my weekends - next catching you up on my baking.

No comments: