Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fresh Blueberry Muffins

A couple of weeks ago I was at the store doing my normal grocery shopping and I noticed that blueberries were on sale 3 containers for $5.  It seemed like a good deal to me so I picked up three packages thinking I could make some good recipes with them.

I especially wanted to make blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries - it was even on my baking bucket list.  So that's exactly what I did!
So pretty!

I googled for a recipe that used fresh blueberries and decided on this one from allrecipes.com. 

It was super easy to whip them up and now that I have my pastry cutter thing it made making the crunchy topping.  I also used bigger sugar (there's probably a real term for that) instead of regular white sugar for the topping.  I thought this would give it a bit of a crunch and plus they are a bit multi-colored.

This recipe made me 11 fairly large muffins.  I also couldn't fit all the topping onto the muffins so some of that got thrown away.  I tried to use my nifty muffin/cupcake scoops I got for Christmas but the batter was pretty thick, so it didn't work the greatest, although probably easier than other methods.

Yum!
Overall they were delicious!  I would make them again for sure.  I loved that it was fresh blueberries... the whole point in making them :)  They were gone in too short of a time, especially considering it was only two of us eating them.  The topping really made these for me!

Here's the recipe with my comments in red.  Again, the recipe is from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar - used crystal-y sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2.Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. I think I added slightly more milk b/c my mixture was very thick
3.To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
4.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
 

No comments: