Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gooey Butter Cake

I meant to go in order of what I made when... but I got the first two out of whack.  I actually made this BEFORE the blueberry muffins - I know quite the mistake on my part... haha.  So forgive me and pretend like it's in perfect order.

A couple of weekends ago we decided to have an impromptu BBQ and it seems like a good time to whip up a new recipe... that and we were visiting some friends for the Daytona 500 the next day and the left overs could easily go to their place so Dan and I wouldn't be eating a whole gooey butter cake to ourselves...

I decided to make the gooey butter cake since it seemed fairly easy and I had to make a decision real fast (we were already at the store)  I only needed to pick up a couple of ingredients (butter, powdered sugar and yellow cake mix)  It seemed like a good choice.

While I only really had one piece - I'd say it was pretty darn delicious.  I mean how could it not be with all that sugar and other delicious things.

I've eaten a lot of gooey butter cakes in my day, but this was the first time I've made my own - I had no idea that you make a crust and filling separate or that it had quite that much powdered sugar in it...

I remembered to get a picture before it was all eaten up

Close up
Since I waited so long to write this dang post I almost forgot what recipe I used, but I believe it was this one from allrecipes.com.  No comments on this one - followed the recipe exactly, although after talking to my mom afterwards could probably cut down on the powdered sugar a bit - 4 cups! That's a lot!
Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Mix cake mix, melted butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs with a spoon. Pat into a 9 X 13 inch pan.
3.Mix cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer. Slowly beat in confectioner's sugar. Pour over cake layer.
4.Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool.

1 comment:

dsdddwddgdd said...

this looks totally yummy........all these do. i like your culinary explorations!