Monday, March 24, 2014

Blondies

It seems like every weekend involves a baking adventure for me.  Even last weekend did, although I didn't post about it.  I'm not even going to count the brownies I made last weekend because I didn't get a picture of them (that and messed up baking them...) If I want to cross it off my baking bucket list then I have to take a picture of it.  Simple enough but I failed with the brownies.

This weekend I was pondering if I wanted to make if anything (after all it's my birthday week this week which I know will involve some sweets plus I'm just not going to be home for dinner any night except tonight)  I debating going for brownies again so I could get the picture... but I just wasn't feeling great about that... I also debated making salted caramel (which I'm going to be adding to my list) so I could do some other recipes with it - but that stuff only stays good like 2 weeks and this wasn't the best two weeks for that... finally I decided that blondies seemed like a decent idea and I had all the ingredients in the house already so it was easy peasy.

I googled easy blondie recipes and decided to try this one, after all it says it's no fail :)

Now I have a problem... Sometimes I under cook things... actually this is one of those things Dan asks me jokingly about - is cooked all the way?  I made this same mistake with my brownies that blog world knows nothing about.  I didn't get these cooked all the way the first try.  I even did the toothpick test (on the brownies too) and toothpick clean... come to find out I've been using waxed toothpicks so DUH nothing would stick to them anyway.  I thought it was done and then Dan comes over and pretty much sticks his finger into the center to reveal that no, in fact it isn't done.  So yes, I may have mutilated the blondies in the pan a bit (notice no pictures of the pan) - but I did get them nice and cooked.

They are pretty tasty - I used some leftover peanut butter and chocolate chips from the brownies-that-do-not-exist.  The edges got pretty done too - but I like done edges so I'll take that as a win.

B/c one piece is never enough!
Yumm-O

Here's the recipe - from InspiredTaste.net - any comments in red.
 
No-Fail Blondies Recipe
 
Blondies are one of the most simplest, tastiest baked goods you can make. These blondies are perfectly dense with a paper-thin crinkly top and taste like deep, rich buttery caramel.

What You Need to Know: It’s best to use dark brown sugar for these. Light brown sugar will work fine, but the flavor will not be as rich. Feel free to customize this recipe to your liking — add chocolate, nuts, dried fruit or whatever else you adore. We’ve shared suggested amounts in the recipe below. - I only had light brown sugar - so I used that
 
Yield: 16 bars
 
You Will Need
  • 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
  • 1 cup (230 g) lightly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional - did not use
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup (140 g) all-purpose flour (we use unbleached Gold Medal all-purpose flour)
Optional Extras (Add one or a combination to customize)
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips (white, milk, semi-sweet, dark, etc.) - As I said above this is what I added, but I did not measure how much I put in - I just dumped the rest of the bag - it was probably half a bag left
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chopped and toasted nuts
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chopped dried fruit or shredded/flaked coconut
  • 1/4 cup liquor (bourbon, whisky, rum, etc.) Note: Increase flour by 1 tablespoon to accommodate
  • 1/2 teaspoon favorings or extracts (coconut, mint, rum, raspberry, etc.)
  • 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177C). Butter or line an 8-inch by 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) baking pan with parchment paper.  Note to self - buy parchment paper...
  2. In a medium bowl, stir melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in egg, vanilla, almond extract (optional) and the salt.  It's a one bowl recipe - love it!
  3. Add flour and stir until incorporated then mix in any extras such as chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruit (amounts above).
  4. Pour batter into baking dish and bake 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out relatively clean. Cool then cut into 16 squares.  Mine cooked for closer to 30-32 minutes

No comments: