Monday, September 23, 2013

My New (old) Things

This past weekend we did some second hand store shopping.  Mostly I am on the look out for some chairs.  A few weeks ago I was browsing a blog and she did this awesome dining room update (look here) with different chairs she found over town for cheap and repainted them with bright fun colors.

I saw the pic and fell in love immediately.  That picture screamed to me - this is what you should do in your dining room.  So the mission was set.  A couple of weekends ago I scored two chairs at Value Village.  I haven't taken pictures of them yet... but I need to.  I want to end up with at least six chairs so I was one third of the way there (if you don't count the table which I also don't have...)

This past weekend we were on the lookout for some more chairs.  I'm looking for solid (not flimsy), wooden chairs without a cushion (so if anyone sees one for cheap let me know or buy it and I'll pay you back!).  I have been able to find some chairs but they are usually in poor shape structurally or being sold as a set (which I would like to get different ones - 'Friends' it if you will).  I'm excited for the hunt!

We went to a couple of shops and our last stop of the day we found one chair that I think will work for the dining room.  It has arms where my other two don't, but I figure this can be an end seat.  They are usually bigger than the other chairs.  So I'm down to needing just three more chairs!
Aint she a beaut!?
While that picture above show lots of different colored chairs, right now I'm thinking about painting all the chairs different shades of blue.  Or possibly all of them navy... I'm just not sure what I'll end up doing but I don't think it will be all loud colors.  I'm really excited to get to this project, but I'll also need to find a dining room table.  And I think ideally it would seat 8 if need be... so might actually need 5 more chairs instead of just three.

But that's not all I got this weekend.  While we were in our first store stop (we went to a festival thing earlier in the day which I'll tell you more about in my typical weekend recap) I found something else I've been keeping a casual eye out for... sconces!!  I had an idea that they could look good hanging on either side over the archway cutouts.  Most of the sconces I had been seeing at second hand shops were cheap feeling (and looking).  Nothing had really caught my eye yet.  Then we were standing in this shop and my aunt (or sister I can't remember) pointed them out to me... and they were awesome looking and for only $10 I fell in love pretty darn quickly.
Sorry the pic is the wrong way
This beauties will be painted some color and hang on the dining room side of the archways.  I think it will depend on what color the chairs end up being... right now I've thought that black might look good or a charcoal.  But I've also pictures them a fun color like red or teal.  We'll see but I'm really super excited about them. 

All these colors I'm day dreaming about and right now there's a khaki neutral on three of the walls and a red accent wall (on the wall with the doorway and the arch cutouts).  I'm thinking that in this day dream of a world that wall would probably need to change colors.  I guess will all come together.  I want to get some more chairs and a table and stuff before I jump to painting anything... but I'm way excited about the sconces.

After that store we went to another store my aunt found.  I think each of us ended up getting something from that place.  My sister got an awesome peace sign painting.  We also got some Christmas presents too for people.

I ended up getting this $12 chair.  No, it doesn't fit into my dining room project, but it's a solid, comfortable chair that was cheap... so why not.
 
The colors are kinda fun too
It's a bit on the taller side (I know with the angle you might have a hard time telling).  Until we get a table or something in there I'll have it in the kitchen to sit in if needed.  I like have that option now.

Finally, my aunt got me a little something for my house which was very nice of her.  She got me this vase, which I love because it curves to the side.
 

It's like a floating window in darkness haha
See that green vase in the center - that's what she got me.  I'm not sure if it will forever live in this window, but for now I'm happy with it there.

So that's my random finds over the weekend.  I love second hand shopping - especially with my family that makes it so much more fun!!

2 comments:

dsdddwddgdd said...

its fun keeping an eye open for chairs! and, other fun house stuff.

Susan said...

Some very cool and unique finds! I can't wait to see how your dining room table project turns out.