Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How does your garden grow?

Last weekend my mom and I went shopping. We went to Home Depot to get paint for my hallway (this was her birthday gift to me.) The paint ended up being pretty cheap so I was also able to get some plants for my yard.

Background: I am not good with flowers... I've been known to kill them in the past... Chad doesn't want me to waste the money on plants that are going to eventually die. I tend to agree with this. I figured that this would be a good way to test out if I can keep plants alive again. I really want our yard to be pretty... So my mom bought be a few plants. She also dug some up from her garden for me to have. I decided instead of waiting until the next to plant I came home and went to work. Of course my garden beds were much worse than I had remembered, so I had to weed first... blah, what fun that was...

I mean, look at the awfulness that is the front yard... I mean, what the heck is that random green leafed plant?? They are all over the front yard.

Looks like a forest floor!!



Since I'm wring this blog from a different than normal computer I am having the dangest time rearranging the pictures... so here's where I jump from the front yard to the back yard... Tune into the end of the blog to see how the front yard looks now...

My beautiful Knockout Rose bush... I'm hoping this baby grows into a lovely big plant... Yes... I need to weed around it, but by the end of the ripping up all the things in the front yard I was tired and knew I needed to get the plants in the ground.
And this is in the back as well... the lovely Clematis, hopefully this guy covers a portion of the fence.
And now we jump inside to my Angel Wing plant. Chad's grandma gave it to me on Sunday. I plan to transport some sprigs to make some new starters of my own.
Aw... back to the front yard... here's my 3 new Rhododendron plants... hopefully they grow big and beautiful... btw look how all those green leafed plants are gone... yay!! That other one standing up is something my mom gave me. Rose of sharon I believe... there's a few more planted all the way at the end as well. Those grassy looking plants have been there since we bought the house
And finally... lily of the valley.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Glad to see that you're getting excited about your yard. The last 2 weeks, I've been doing a lot of planting too (mostly container plants). Tip: it's critical that you get your plants mulched to protect the roots and Clematis need LOTS of water. I've killed 2 of them because I let them dry out. Enjoy watching your "garden" grow!!