Thursday, June 25, 2015

Big Ultrasound

I am so behind on posting updates since I was on vacation last week and then playing catch up at work this week... so let's go back to our ultrasound appointment which took place on June 12th.


Dan was able to take off work and we went to the doctor's office.  Since I wanted to schedule it on my day off to save up my leave time we had to go to the St. Peters office and we didn't actually meet with my doctor.


The ultrasound went really well!  The baby is measuring freakishly on track meaning I was 21 weeks 3 days and the baby was measuring 21 weeks 3 days - look at our star performer!


And in the big news we still don't know if the baby is a boy or girl!  So the surprise is still happening.  Dan has wanted to know all along, but he still looked away when she said she was nearing the 'danger zone'.  I'm excited that we're keeping this a surprise for everyone... although we already know that Baby T-Rex is getting a girl cousin roughly six weeks after he's born. 


Yes, I just said he and when I refer to the baby with a pronoun it's he, him, etc... Why? I just do... hopefully that doesn't confuse baby too much if he comes out as a she.


Now it was all positive but here's the negative part of our appointment... and when I say this stuff just remember we are thinking and remaining positive.  We are NOT freaking out and worrying and we won't until there's a reason to do so...


The umbilical cord normally has three vessels - 2 arteries and 1 vein.  Our umbilical cord only has one artery and one vein.  I found out the term for this is single umbilical artery or SUA.  According to what I read this happens in about 1% of pregnancies but it is one of the more common 'defects' that can happen.  There's a lot of scary stuff that can happen with this disorder if you look online, so I don't recommend it, but I did read some things because I just had to.  The good news is there's a lot of positive experiences online.  People have completely healthy babies and most all the stories/forum/etc I read were all positive.  This does mean that they will be keeping a closer eye on baby's growth.  I will have a growth ultrasound every four weeks to make sure he's growing on track.  I think that if his growth slowed that they might want to deliver the baby early... but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.  The good news is we'll get many more chances to see him throughout this pregnancy.


Next appointment I believe my mom is coming with me and I'll have my glucose test, an ultrasound, and an appointment.


Onto pictures!  Here's some ones from the ultrasound of our baby.

Nice profile - I think I see Dan's chin, maybe I'm making that up

A fun 4D picture - that's not hair that's the uterine wall :) the good grief pose 


Baby sucking his thumb


No comments: