Tuesday, February 11, 2014

RECIPE: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

When I made cookies to take the funeral home for my step-mom's mom's funeral I thought the peanut butter chips were on sale... so I grabbed two bags.  Of course when I got up to the register they weren't, but at that point I didn't really care and went ahead and bought two bags.

I was eager to try something new with these chips - so I googled peanut butter chips recipes and starting looking around.  I found this one pretty fast and decided to make them.  What I liked about this recipe is 1) I had all the ingredients on hand and 2) it just gets spread in the bottom of a dish - no rolling balls or anything - score!

They were really delicious and I ended up taking them to the Super Bowl party we went to - and they got eaten (I left them there so I wouldn't be tempted to keep eating them at home)

The one note I'll make before I post the recipe.  I followed the cooking instruction and baked them for about 17-18 minutes.  I took them out when they were done and let them cool for awhile... and then I wanted one!  So I tried to eat it (and this was a crust piece which should be more done than the center) and it felt like I had way under cooked them.  I didn't much care at that point b/c putting them back in the oven would have probably done something else weird (since the oven was off and they were already cooling) so I figured we'd at least eat the edge or whatever and I wouldn't take them anywhere.

By the time they finally cooled and I checked them the next morning they were perfectly cooked.  I guess this is one the things I have to learn about baking and bar type of cookies... they need to cool all the way :)

Recipe from BrownEyedBaker notes in red... sorry I didn't take a picture on this one

Ingredients:

1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips may have used slightly less because I was finishing up a bag
1 cup peanut butter chips may have used slightly more to make up for the less chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until creamy and light. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until the flour is just incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, mix in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
4. Turn out the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, or until the center is set. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars and store at room temperature in an airtight container. (shoot she even says cool completely :))

 

No comments: