Wednesday, February 12, 2014

RECIPE: Buffalo Chicken Strips and Meatballs

Are these kind of posts even interesting to anyone?  I guess it doesn't matter because it's my own record.  I'm going ahead and combining these since they are from the same website (Skinnytaste)

First I tried the buffalo chicken strips. While the recipe is good this gal needs to learn to cook chicken better.  Honestly raw chicken grosses me out to a degree and I think I over cooked it because it was a bit dry.  Dan said it was good - and I loved all the seasonings on the chicken.



Next I tried turkey meatballs.  My plan was to have meatball subs.  I did eat mine on bread (way healthier I know) but Dan just ate his bread on the side.

I really liked these - they were tasty and delicious and didn't take too long to make (once I got all the garlic sliced up which took me longer than I want to admit)

I bought some french loafs and cut them in half.  I put some butter on each side with some garlic powder and stuck them in the oven to toast - it was really good.

Here the recipe from Skinnytaste.  (I didn't post the recipe for the chicken strips b/c I followed that one exactly while this one I did a bit different - notes in red)

Ingredients:

  • 20 oz (1.3 lb) ground turkey breast 99% lean
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs - could not find whole wheat - I used Italian style... oh and random side story, I was in the grocery store and didn't really know where breadcrumbs were and they were next on my short list... I happen to look up and there in front of me was the stuffing aisle... and I'm like I bet they are next to the stuffing and it was... I felt like it was a sign or something... ok that's a stupid story
  • 1/4 cup Reggiano Parmigiano cheese, grated - just used regular Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped - just used dry
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp kosher salt + fresh pepper
For the marinara sauce:

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso) - I only used one can and it was plenty
  • 1/2 small onion, keep whole - cut mine into quarters... b/c that's what I did
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil - dry
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium size pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Add crushed tomatoes, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer.

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese. Using your (clean) hands, mix all the ingredients well until everything is combined. Form small meatballs, about the size of a ping ping ball (1/8th cup each).

Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook about 20 minutes. Discard the onion and serve over pasta or on whole wheat Italian bread for a meatball hero.

No comments: