Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Weekend in Review - Fourth of July

It was so amazing to have a four day weekend... sure that's only one additional day than I normally get, but it felt like so much more.  Maybe it was because we did something every day of the weekend... or maybe it was because everyone else was off too - so it just felt more like a vacation, but either way you slice it - it was amazing to have all that time off.

We'll start out on Wednesday - since no one had to work the next day we decided to go out on the town.  Dan, me, Andy, Dave, Caleb, and some of his friends all went to Nick's Pub.  I had been here once before a long time ago, but didn't really remember too much about it.  It's a cool bar and has a ton of beers on tap.  I was excited because they had Woodchuck Pear Cider on tap - so so tasty - light and fresh a delightful summer drink.  I had been drinking a lot of beer lately but in the last couple of weeks decided I didn't really want it.  So I've been drinking other things - when I decide to drink that is.  We spent a good portion of the night there.  It was a lot of fun - although it was smokey and loud too.  They had a musician come on later in the night and that just makes it hard to talk to people.

On Thursday - Fourth of July - we mostly spent time at home, but I got food for a barbecue.  Summer holidays always seem right to grill.

We had bratwurst burgers (although I will probably just get actual brats next time).  I had mine on an onion cheese roll.  We also had potatoes (cut up with onion and garlic with butter and grilled) and asparagus.  Very tasty.

After we ate we headed over to Chesterfield to see the fireworks.  I was soooo excited to see fireworks this year since they had been cancelled last year due to the drought.  Chesterfield was an amazing place to see them too - we had great seats, weren't crowded by other people and was easy getting in and out (although we did have to wait to get out but still).

The firework show went on for so long (like 30 minutes) and the fireworks themselves were huge - so big!!  It was really amazing!!

On Friday during the day we took a trip to the bird store to get Quina some new toys.  I know I need to talk about that dang bird, but let's just say I'm not her biggest fan.  But this weekend she let me hold her - so a step forward... of course she was distracted playing with my hair elastic... but hey - still a win in my book!

That night we went out to John and Amanda's place in St. Charles where they grilled.  It was quite yummy and I got to have my first s'more of the year - I looove me some s'mores.  I also tried this new drink - Mikes Hard Punch - I had the mango and the strawberry pineapple - they are really good and 8% alcohol!

On Saturday night we went over to my cousin's house where we watched the NASCAR race and (surprise surprise) grill again.  I made Dan get chili cheese brats which he thought would be gross but they were the biggest hit - so I win!

Sunday was mostly a low key sort of day, but after all the going out over the weekend we deserved it!

How was your Fourth of July weekend??

2 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY CHRISTIAN BLOG

Susan said...

Fun weekend!! Chili Cheese Brats sound delish!