Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Roller Derby

I have a new obsession - okay it's not really an obsession, it's more of an infatuation and that is roller derby.

A few months ago Chad and I went to our first roller derby match - the Arch Rival Roller Girls. It was so much fun. I really didn't know much about roller derby. The only things I knew was they were on roller skates and it involved hits and blocks. It was pretty easy to figure out how the scoring worked. It was just a fun time. The announcers were great (it was almost as if we were watching it on TV) and the atmosphere is electric.

Last weekend Chad and I went to our second match... and it didn't disappoint. This time we sat in the 'splash zone' which is the area that surrounds the track. We had a wonderful time. I'm really excited to go back for the third match in January.

What also has fed into this infatuation is the movie Whip It. I really enjoyed this movie, just light and funny and interesting and truly an enjoyable movie. You should watch it if you haven't seen it... don't let Drew Barrymore's directorial debut fool you - it's pretty awesome.

Honestly, I wish I had the skillz to be a roller girl. I think the main thing I'm lacking is aggressive-ness. I've never been an aggressive person - which I think is why I didn't do too well at team sports (track doesn't involve one-on-one aggressive interaction.) And if I were a roller girl, I would definately need to be aggressive.... ho-hum. I also don't know if my skating skills are up to snuff. I haven't been in roller skates since probably middle school... and the last time I had roller blades on it didn't end so well. And plus I don't scream roller girl style.

But man it would be fun and different to do... so I'll day dream about it...

1 comment:

Susan said...

You should be a roller girl! You can do it!