Monday, April 7, 2014

Chili #1

I'm going to admit a not so secret secret... I love chili. Seriously one of my favorite foods ever. To me, chili is not just a fall/winter food. I make chili all year round. I used to only make one particular kind (beef traditional) but as some of the recipes on this blog shows (here and here and at least one I never blogged about - white turkey chili) I've been venturing out of the chili box - and I'm excited to try even more... (and not just making them I order chili from places on a pretty routine basis.) But sometimes I just like a good bowl of the traditional stuff.

Lately I've been trying to vary up the recipe each time. The problem is I really haven't taken note of what I did differently and how it effected the taste. Which means I'm going to start chronicling it here. How exciting for me and probably boring to you :)

Here are some things I've figured out up to this point:
  • I like lots of beans
  • 2 cans of Rotel is too much
  • I don't mind ground turkey instead of ground beef. Since the turkey is healthier I just always use it. Dan probably wishes I used beef but whatever the turkey is good enough. 
  • Dan will not eat or even taste chili with ketchup in it. Not even worth it to try to put it in without thinking he'll notice. 

So with that said here's this recipe. Just gonna number the recipes, so this is Chili #1

1 can of chili beans (generic) undrained and fill up with 1/2 water and dumped in
1 can of light red kidney beans (generic) drained
1 can of black beans (generic) drained
1 small can of tomato sauce (generic)
1 can of Rotel Hot undrained
1 packet onion soup mix (generic)
1 packet chili powder seasoning (Brooks)
A couple of shakes of Cajun seasoning
A couple of shakes of cumin
A couple of shakes chili power
A few shakes of crushed red pepper
A few shakes of Worcester sauce
A few shakes of hot sauce (generic like Franks)
1lb of lean ground turkey breast,browned

Everything dumped in and left on low (turned to warm halfway through b/c my crockpot is like super crockpot) on the crockpot for like 6 hours at least (sure it's good to eat whenever but the longer you let it cook, the better it's going to be)
 
Notes:  I really liked it. I think the Worcester sauce made a difference. It needed to be a tad bit spicier though. Next time add fresh jalapeƱo maybe?  Or buy some cayenne pepper? Overall really tasty!!

No comments: